Celebrate the Groundbreaking Voices of Classic Black Authors: Interactive Infographic
NOTE: To view the interactive quotes, download the PDF to your desktop.
We Honor the Enduring Importance and Influence of the Greatest Black Authors to Help Cultivate Understanding and Respect
Our search statistics show that these writers are among the most studied in the award-winning Bloom’s Literature database and are even more popular than contemporary best-sellers. Bloom’s Literature facilitates understanding and critical thinking of these authors and many others. Look for these featured articles, sections, and more:
- The Most Studied Authors section lists authors for whom Bloom’s offers comprehensive coverage—including biographies, criticism, sample essay topics, poems, How to Write About guidance, and more. These greats include Maya Angelou, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Toni Morrison, and Alice Walker. Other major authors covered extensively in Bloom’s include James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison, Lorraine Hansberry, Richard Wright, Claude McKay, August Wilson, and many more.
- The Most Studied Works section lists works covered comprehensively in Bloom’s, with significant coverage of major topics and themes. These classics include Beloved, The Color Purple, Invisible Man, and A Raisin in the Sun.
- The Full-Text Poem and Short Story collection includes works by Langston Hughes, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Phillis Wheatley, W. E. B. Du Bois, Jean Toomer, Zora Neale Hurston, and many more. Every full-text work has a corresponding analytical entry.
- The Essay Topics / Discussion Question section provides research and writing suggestions that inspire students to think critically about great works and authors, including Gwendolyn Brooks, Countee Cullen, Alice Dunbar Nelson, Robert Haydon, Rita Dove, Frederick Douglass, Alex Haley, and many others.
- The Literary Movements section includes the Black Arts Movement and Harlem Renaissance.
- The Literary Themes section includes overview essays on race, justice, oppression, alienation, gender, identity, religion, social class, and more.
- In addition, Bloom’s offers thousands of articles on contemporary authors—including Publishers Weekly interviews and podcasts where users can hear from authors in their own voices—such as Tomi Adeyemi, Edwidge Danticat, N. K. Jemisin, James McBride, Terry McMillan, Walter Mosley, Jason Reynolds, Tracy K. Smith, Colson Whitehead, Jacqueline Woodson, and many others.
Learn more about Bloom’s Literature. Take a FREE TRIAL of Bloom’s Literature.